Fysiotherapeut & Bewegingstechnoloog
Can I Sleep with a Back Brace?
A back brace is a medical device designed to support the back, improve posture, and reduce back pain and discomfort. While a back brace is typically worn during the day, can you also sleep with it? In our blog on ‘sleeping with a back brace,’ we provide tips for sleeping with a back brace and offer advice on suitable back braces for sleeping.
What is a back brace good for?
A back brace can provide stability and support, aiding in the healing of injuries or conditions. Additionally, it can reduce stress on specific areas of the back, helping alleviate back pain and discomfort.
When should I wear a back brace?
A back brace is usually worn during the day, but in some cases, it may be advisable to sleep with one. Initially, this may feel uncomfortable, but sleeping with a back brace could contribute to improved spinal health and a reduction in back issues over time.
How can I sleep with a back brace?
Sleeping with a back brace may require some adjustment, and it might be uncomfortable at first. The following tips can make sleeping with a back brace more comfortable:
- Adjust the brace properly: A brace that is too tight can cause discomfort and pressure, while a too loose one may lose its effectiveness.
- Try different sleep positions: Some sleep positions may be more comfortable than others. Experiment with different positions to find the one that is most comfortable for sleeping with a back brace.
- Provide body support with pillows and blankets: Pillows and blankets can help fill any gaps and offer additional support.
- Sleep on a supportive mattress: A supportive mattress adds extra comfort and helps maintain your spine in a neutral position.
- Sleep on your stomach with a back brace: Sleeping on your stomach can allow your back to rest more comfortably.
Which back braces are suitable for sleeping?
The suitability of a back brace for sleeping depends on the specific medical condition, personal comfort, as well as the type and design of the brace. If in doubt, contact the specialists at ProBrace for advice on choosing the best back brace for your situation.
Here are some examples of back braces that may be suitable for nighttime use:
- Soft back braces: Typically made of flexible materials like neoprene or lycra, these braces offer support and compression to the back while being comfortable enough to sleep in.
- Lumbar back braces: Specifically designed to support the lumbar (lower back) region, these braces provide more support than soft back braces, especially if they include flexible splints. Examples include the Bauerfeind LordoLoc Back Brace.
- Posture-improving braces: Primarily providing support and correction for the upper back, these braces are designed to help maintain correct posture, which can be particularly useful for those who tend to adopt improper positions during sleep.
- Full-body braces: For severe conditions like scoliosis, a full-body brace may be necessary. Whether these braces are comfortable for sleeping depends on the design and the patient’s needs. Contact a specialist in orthopedic aids for advice.
Note: While sleeping with a back brace may help provide support and reduce pain, prolonged use of a brace can weaken muscles. It is crucial to follow the instructions of a doctor or therapist on how and when to wear a brace. We recommend wearing a brace when experiencing symptoms and gradually reducing use as symptoms improve.
What back braces are available for purchase?
Back pain can have various causes, and depending on the cause of your back pain, different types of back braces are available. The table below indicates the back braces available at ProBrace, along with the types of complaints they are recommended for.
|Type of complaints
|Type of back brace
|Bauerfeind LordoLoc Back brace
|Stabilizing orthosis for the lumbar spine.
|Bauerfeind LumboLoc Forte Back brace
|Stabilizing orthosis to relieve pain around the lumbar spine. By using the extra straps you can maximally fix and stabilize the lower back.
|Thuasne Sport Back brace
|The Thuasne Sport Back Brace is specially designed to be worn during intensive activities. The integrated back pads support the natural shape of the spine. This creates more space to absorb shocks without being held back by pain.
|Thuasne Lombastart Back brace
|For those strenuous moments, there is Lombastart Back Brace. The extra elastic straps provide that little bit of extra support in the painful area when your back requires it. Contains flexible ribs and is made of breathable material.
|Thuasne Lombafirst Back brace
|Pain in the low back (lumbar spine) is a common complaint by many physiotherapists. With non-specific back complaints, the back can feel painful and cramped. Complaints can become worse during work or performing everyday activities such as bending over. A back strap is an effective solution for this.
Advice on buying a suitable back brace for sleeping
If you still have questions about sleeping with a back brace after reading these tips, be sure to consult your doctor or another advisory figure. We are also available to provide advice on a suitable back brace for sleeping through our customer service.